Lit Review: FOSS Legal Primer Chapter 5, Trademarks
Who: A Group of People from Software Freedom Law Center
What: Legal Primer for FOSS
Where: On the Internet
The Gist: The final chapter of the Software Freedom Law Center's Primer explains Trademarks, how to make and use one, and how to protect it. A great start for anyone looking to make anything with potential brand recognition.
- good explanation of trademarks and their uses
- actual steps on how to apply for a trademark
- a great example on other entities being similiar to a trademark and how to deal with them
- seems to end aburptly
- only information about US trademarks
- info on pricing could be outdated
- How can trademarks be discrete when they are based off people's understanding/knowledge, which can often be hard to dicpher?
- Can I trademark my name?
- How are trademarks handled internationally?
Review: One of the most useful chapters of the FOSS Legal Primer, readers will have a solid understanding of trademarks and their uses for their businesses.
tl;dr: a splooch of Hot Mustard on dress pants